Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Cluck, Cluck, Cancer


I watched about half of a baseball game last night.  The games start about the time I get off the train so I don’t usually catch the start.  Too bad, #4 pitched the first 2 innings.  I did get to see him catch and cover 1st base.  He’s got a better arm than I do.

What I did not get to do was hear the game.  A woman from the other team – she turned out to be a mother but that wasn’t clear at first, I thought she might be an escaped mental patient – sat down behind my wife (which is where I sat when I got there) and started talking to a mother from our team.

It was like being on the train and having the woman behind you complain about how the Memorial Day plans have changed on her phone only you got to hear both sides.  Guess what?  It doesn’t make it more interesting.  Maybe that’s not true – as annoying as it was last night (I almost snapped a picture to show you) the nature of their conversation is quite interesting to me today.

Do you remember that scene in Lethal Weapon 3 where… No?  Okay.  It doesn’t matter.  They were comparing health problems and adventures and expenses.  I feel a top 5 list coming on.

The top five “I can’t believe she just said” comments from the girls at the game:

5. I’ll get fined $600 when I do my taxes next year because of Obama Care.  Just keep sticking it to us, that’s what I say.

4.  I don’t cheer for my son.  I can’t even say hello without embarrassing him.  I have to give it time and hope he sees that I’m here.

3.  They rushed her into triage because they thought she had meningitis.

2.   Well I actually had cancer.

1.   I know it’s to save my daughter’s life, but I don’t have that kind of money.


At least they are involved in their children’s lives and not glued to the screens of their smart phones like most of the folks I see at Target and Starbucks.  That’s another post but it sure looks to me like we’re raising a nation of orphans.

Oh, and I made it home in time (barely) to post an entry in the 5 minute fiction contest.

No comments:

Post a Comment