Monday, December 23, 2013

Rip Riding Away

My boys are now proficient with a device known as a "Rip-Stik."  It's like a skateboard only harder.  And it isn't for me.  They scoot up and down the driveway and around the inside of the house (we've got a great floor plan for skateboards and nerf dart guns).

I do not scoot anywhere.  I fall -- either flat on my face or flat on my tuckuss.  I believe I even said, "I can't do this."  But the boys, who also fell flat, kept at it and have some skillz now.  It occured to me that my issue wasn't that I couldn't do it, it was that I didn't want to do it.  Too much pain and not enough payoff.  There are other things I'd rather do with my time.

I was greeted this morning by a very sweet little girl who interupted herself when she saw me to yell, "Uncle Jon!  Uncle Jon!"  I expect that later today we'll get to dance.  To me, that sounds much more fun than a trip to the emergency room.

There's a day of possibilities ahead of us.  I'm sure we won't get to do everything we want to, but we'll do something, and for now that could be anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment