Wednesday, January 22, 2014

"Now get out of here before I have a heart attack trying to kill you."

We did end up with a little bit of snow.  Tried to do a little sledding with the boys but it was too powdery and too sparse.  It kept at it overnight though so hopefully they will be able enjoy it today during snow day #2.  I am off to work.  There was a 2 hour delay, but the train doesn't care about that so it's "the usual, please" for me.

I'm very glad that I work in a warm office.  All of the envy I experience during the summer vanishes on days like this.

Speaking of vanishing, let's talk about good baseball movies.  I'll be the first to admit that watching baseball is about as interesting as weeding a garden and I'd easily be distracted by a rabbit eating spinach.  However, there have been a few baseball movies that I've enjoyed and many others that were good movies.  Sorry if you think that makes me a bad citizen, it's just not my bag.


Last night we watched "Trouble With the Curve" and I will tell you, it is no "Major League".  It wasn't a terrible movie, but there were some inconsistencies and for a movie with 'curve' in the title, it was pretty linear.  The only "surprises" were a completely out of character response by the love interest and that the movie -- which was clearly about characters rather than story -- left the characters fundamentally unchanged.  If you like any of the actors you'll enjoy it, the film had polish.  It also had clever dialogue.  But as I have been reading, dialogue is a sauce, not a course, and you can't carry a story with it.  Even if Clint Eastwood is one of the stars.

Sort of goes along with the idea that actions speak louder than words.  A point that Mr. Eastwood demonstrated very well in this film.

No comments:

Post a Comment