Monday, July 29, 2013

"Mankind survived the last ice age. We're certainly capable of surviving this one. All depends on whether or not we're able to learn from our mistakes."

There are few things I find more depressing than a summer cold.  Being sick at Christmas is one of them, but really, wasting a week or two of the summer with a sore throat and sinus pain is so wrong.  I mean, summer is when you are supposed to be stung by jelly fish.

To be fair, there are a great many things that I find far more depressing than a cold – whatever time of year it shows up - but none of those things are happening to me right now so the cold gets top billing.
Now that's a cold.


I’m looking for the silver lining – after all, this is Monday and I’m supposed to be blogging about inspiration.  The first and obvious bit of silver is that I’m not dead.  Nor is anyone close to me.  That certainly makes the sunshine more enjoyable.  Wait – the sun is shining?  That’s cool.  So today isn’t so bad.

But the sore throat.  I never get sore throats.  Of course, the blueberry coffee I just made is soothing so that’s not so bad right now.  Perhaps after I gag down some Tylenol Cold and Sinus I’ll feel better.  Or – I could enjoy the sunshine, the time with my family, and squeeze in a bit of writing between naps.

That would require me to stop being cranky.  I would have to choose to accept the great things about today instead of dwelling on the only bit of unpleasantness.

When I was about 13 I submitted a short story to a magazine.  It was rejected, but after the short, typed form letter, there was almost a full page of handwritten notes talking about what was good in my writing and what I should work on.  It was my first rejection letter and I thought that was normal.  I foolishly ignored the personal touch and focused instead on the rejection.  I've received dozens of rejections since and only a couple had anything even close to a personal touch.  I didn't realize what I’d gotten.


I hope I don’t squander the beautiful day around me like that.  My children will be older tomorrow and I’ll have to go back to work, but "right now" is up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment