Monday, October 21, 2013

"Come on down!"

It's Monday already.  For me it started in even earlier than usual.  I met a friend for breakfast so I had to get up really, really early.  I am not a morning person.  Not one single bit.  But he's a good friend.  And I like bacon.

Since I'm up, and drinking lots of coffee, and full of opinions, it's time for Monday's Inspiration.

Bob Barker - The Price is Right
I have a cousin who is my hero (not heroine - apparently we don't use that word any more.  Or actress, for that matter).  She purposes in her heart and then makes it so.  Repeatedly.  She was a huge fan of "The Price is Right" for her whole life.  At Christmas one year she told us that Bob Barker was retiring - "Oh, gee." we all said.  She said, "You don't understand.  This is my last year to get on the show and kiss Bob."  My hero then proceeded to tell us about how she was going to Burbank in May to be on the show.  There were lots of, "Okay, then." sort of comments.  I felt bad for her.  She was excited and only a couple of us (all cousins) were "Hollywood" excited back.  Look, if anyone could get on the show from our family it would be her.

Later that summer I was in the enviable position of watching "The Price is Right" with several coworkers and being able to say, "That's my cousin."  She got to kiss Bob.  She works on a cruise ship now.  On the other side of the world.  Don't tell her “no.”  Ever.  Look at her and know that if you approach life with hope, dreams come true.

At breakfast this morning my friend commented on my blog.  He said, "Jon, when you started this thing I figured two weeks, tops.  You're really doing this though.  You're going to pull it off."  Forgive the hubris please, but he's right.  Discipline is a big part of that realization but really, it's about believing in the dream.

I believe in my dream.  I believe in yours too, do you?

Do you like this blog?  Subscribe by email at the bottom of this page and you'll recieve a short injection of my off-beat perspective in your mailbox every morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment