Saturday, October 12, 2013

Rainy Saturday on 1 Cup of Coffee

I was thinking about Elmore Leonard today.  More specifically about his rules of writing.  The one about never writing about the weather, not to put to fine a point on it.  Why?  Because it's still raining.  We're not going to be swept away - yet - but's it's been coming down steadily for days.

Yesterday I was out in it for quite a bit.  Waiting for late trains, transferring at different stations, and waiting at cross walks under trees so soggy and a storm with such force that there was no cover.  Don't mention umbrellas.  I'm not an umbrella guy.  I did wear a hat on Thursday though.

I'm in a position where people come to me.  It's odd, I'm not used to it, but in the rain it's kind of nice.  My office is dry.  It also has a lot of windows and this week, everytime someone came to see me, s/he commented on how hard it was raining.  At one point it looked like a blizzard it was coming down so hard.

#4 summed it up nicely though.  He's 9, for perspecitve.  "Wow, it's still raining Dad.  It's been raining for days.  But we didn't get any before that for a long time, so I guess this is good."

It is good.  "Rain will make the flowers grow."  We often use the expression in life that, "It never rains, but it pours."  I'm seeing that in a very visual way.  A screen writer's way.

You may see it a poet, or painter, or a photographer (or even an astronaught...).  It doesn't matter.  As long as you do see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment