Monday, March 10, 2014

"All right, R.J. I'm going back to sleep."

When my boat is put away for the winter I go into a sort of hibernation.  It sits there, under the covers and wrap and blue tarp, hiding between a really big tree and a very small garage, and waits with the patience of an old hound at his master's feet.

There's so much work involved in getting it ready for the winter and in the proper place that I don't feel like taking it out again for a bit.  Then it gets cold and dark and my thoughts turn to turkey instead of fish.  Then it stays cold and dark and instead of tubing on the river, I want to go to Mexico or St. Lucia.



It's a good way to pass the few short months of winter.  After winter there's spring and like any good hibernator, with spring's arrival I wake up.  The period of rest was great, but now it's time to get started again.  I get ansy.  I get excited.  I'm tempted to drag my family to the various boat shows that pop up, just to walk some decks.

I'll spend a month, or a month and a half, waiting for the weather to stabilize, planning the summer season, picking the trips and reserving at least a few weekends.  I'll be pouring over Chapman's, refreshing my memory about proper handling and right-of-way.  I may even wear a life-jacket in my garage.

Last spring I woke up and wrote a movie.  This spring I'm writing #4.  Winter's over.  Get out of bed and do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment