Monday, March 24, 2014

"There's no place like home."

We went to a "Home and Garden Expo" this weekend.  I think the Expo idea is about as brilliant as bottled water.  You make people drive to a place where they have to pay to get in to be subjected to high-pressure sales pitch after high-pressure sales pitch.  $5 face painting?  Are you kidding me?

The neat thing about this expo was all of the possibilities.  It made me look at my existing home and consider the impact that changes might have -- a new bathroom, a gas fireplace insert, a shed, a patio kitchen.  I thought about them.  Imagined them.  The budget won't let me do everything, but maybe there is something I should do.

Then I started thinking about writing.  A good story has been to an "Expo" where the author has walked about and looked at the possibilities for changing things around --  a new heat pump or water garden.  He looks at how the story would change if things were restructured.  He doesn’t try to put them all in, and maybe nothing changes, but the leisurely stroll down aisles of vendors opens him to possibilities that he wasn't aware of before.

No comments:

Post a Comment