Saturday, February 8, 2014

I laughed, I cried, it was better than Cats!

We saw "Stomp" at the National Theater last night.  Quite a show.  There was no intermission, they just went for nearly two hours straight.  Banging things.  And it was interesting.

Actually, it was more than interesting.  It was amazing.  They danced, but it wasn't really dancing.  They drummed, but didn't actually use drums.  Sure, there were a few things that were pretty drum-line, but mostly, what they banged were the sorts of things we bang on all the time – without rhythm.  They, of course, had lots of rhythm.  And humor.


And energy.  I told my date that I would never complain about a workout again.

They took the ordinary and re-envisioned it.  Familiar, yet remarkably different.  Are you bored?  Look again.  From pens to brooms to shopping carts to the kitchen sink (full of water), you are surrounded by music and poetry just waiting to be discovered.

If you have never seen a performance of Stomp, I encourage you to do so.  It’s not one big long drum solo.  It’s a kaleidoscope of color, motion, and rhythm.  Melodic and dynamic.  I never checked my watch and only yawned once – that was because I ate a piece of “The Great Wall of Chocolate” and not that the show was dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment