Thursday, January 23, 2014

"What is a week-end?"

This morning I experienced 7 degrees of separation on my drive to the train station.  As in 7 degrees of separation between the outside temperature and 0 degrees.  Farenheit.  In the immortal words of the Claymation spokesman for Lipton Tea, "That's BRISK, Baby."

Being able to wander around my house in a t-shirt during such weather makes me very thankful that I live in a time with central heating, insulation, and with wealth to squander on staying warm. I suspect that, despite their fortune, the good folks living in Downton Abbey would be freezing on a day like this.

What?  Not a smooth enough transition?  A bit on the nose?  Sorry.

Friends have been recommending DA to us for a while now and after "everyone" was talking up the season 4 premiere, we just had to add it to our queue to find out what the fuss was about.  Now we know.  If you know, you don't need to read my take on it.  If you don't, read on BUT before you watch it, remember, it's English.  Check IMDB before you watch it with the kiddies.


First thing that struck me about it was that my wife enjoyed it very much.  It isn't that she doesn't care for period pieces or actors with strong accents, but both require a compelling story to overcome and the two together make for a Matterhorn worthy ascent.

The second thing that struck me was the brilliant writing that made me actually care about life in a lord's manor house circa 1912.  The logline was not the sort that would pull me in.  But it's compelling drama.  Everything is well done and, despite being a large ensemble, the characters were quickly identifiable and memorable.

I was so completely entertained by the show that I didn't even analyze it as it was going so I'm not sure quite how they did it.  I will have to go back and watch it again, perhaps even dig up a script of the first episode somewhere.  We've watched a dozen episodes of Flashpoint and I still don't know who is who.

No comments:

Post a Comment