Wednesday, October 1, 2014

When will I get there? I ain't certain.

I recently typed “Fade In” on a new script.  It isn’t the one I spent a month breaking.  It’s the silly idea that came to me nearly fully formed when I was running over the summer.  I was planning to write the other one, thought I should write the other one, but it wasn’t ready.

This one is.

It’s because I know how it ends.  Very clearly.  I’ve heard it over and over – how important it is to know your ending, thought I sort of got it when I was working on Falling Star, but now I own it.  You absolutely have to know how it ends before you begin.  You can write without knowing the ending, and some of the writing may be good, but the story won’t be.  Take all the side roads you want on your way, but you have to know where you’re going.

I love the ending to this story.  I love my protagonist.  I love the technology.  I pitched the idea to my kids and they love it.  So I told them the whole story.  They love it.  “Definitely write that one, Dad.”  They even offered suggestions.  I listened.

I realized that the reason I’m so confident as a writer now is because I’ve seen the end.  When I was younger I just wrote.  Now I write with direction.  I’ve been surprised by some of the side roads, will probably be surprised by some more, but I know where I’m going.


And I love the ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment